Happy Earth Day everyone! In honour of honouring mother earth today I wanted to put together a list of things that anyone can do to help be a bit greener.
Things you can do for Earth Day:
- Skip the bottled water and treat yo’ self to a nice re-useable water bottle. I like the lovely designs by the folks at Swell. Not only will you feel good about your choice for the environment, you may just end up being motivated to drink more water which you should be doing anyways 😉
- Switch to a re-useable travel mug for your morning pick me up. Let’s face it, most of us have one of these around their place already and we rarely use it. Crack that puppy out and feel good about one less cup in the landfill.
- Plant some vegetables. It could be a as simple as one pot of lettuce on your balcony or a full out garden in your backyard. This past summer I planted a full vegetable garden for the very first time, and and now I’m officially a garden addict. I can’t believe it took me so long to try it. Not only is it good for the environment, it’s also rewarding and incredibly convenient. Also everything you grow yourself tastes way better. BONUS my kids LOVED the garden, they happily helped water and pick and even ate fresh veggies straight from it.
- Change your lightbulbs. LED bulbs last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs, use less energy and are recyclable. Our friends over at BJ Electric wrote a great article that answers many questions about making the switch to LED.
- Turn off your lights. For real, if you aren’t using it, turn it off.
- Get your water consumption in check. Small changes can make a big impact. Take a shorter shower. Turn off the tap while you brush your teeth. Get that leaky faucet fixed.
- Use those re-useable shopping bags. We all have them, but if you are anything like me, you never remember to bring them with you when you go shopping. Try stashing them in your car so you always have some on hand for grocery trips.
- Park that ride. Why not make an effort to try and walk to the store instead or driving when the weather is nice? You get a bit of exercise and consume less gas. Everyone wins!
Do you have any other ideas for how to keep our planet healthy? Let us know in the comments!